Friday, October 23, 2020

Ho Ho Ho



 Not THAT kind of ho....let me preface this post with that disclaimer.  (Seems like my moral character has been questioned as of late and it was just too perfect to use that title! 😆)

Back before the fire, I had sent Jon to the old house to bring home our boxes of holiday decorations.  His car is small so he wasn't able to fit all the boxes in the trunk.  No worries.  We really just needed the fall/Halloween decorations.  We could go back and pick up the Christmas stuff another time.  

Yeah, that didn't quite work out as anticipated.  

We've sifted through the rubble a few times, finding the occasional recognizable (though charred) memories.  A piece of the nativity set here, a teacup there, maybe a shard of glass that was once a Christmas ornament.  The handmade stockings are gone.  So are the silly ornaments each kid had created through the years. A few special, one of a kind ornaments are also gone forever. All the Christmas books I had collected,  just ashes now.  The entire mismatched, motley collection of stuff, gone.

Well, damn.

So last night Jake and I walked next door to his parent's house to visit with his brother, Jed and his wife, Julie.  (Two Julies?!?  Confusing, but awesome!)  I was so happily surprised to find boxes of Christmas decorations waiting for me.  Really.  Boxes of stuff!  Jed and Julie had put together the "Pennick/Summers Christmas Starter Kit" to help offset our loss.  

I could've cried.  Something so insignificant as compared to other people's losses, yet still so paramount in our lives.  Their thoughtfulness and generosity made my heart happy.  Very, very happy.  Sarah was so excited sorting through those boxes, commenting on how some things were similar to what we had  lost, but even cooler. 

So thank you, even you, Jed, for the great surprise.  I love you guys!

#doublebucklemeJed



No comments:

Post a Comment